[CQ-Contest] SO2R another class??

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R another class??
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue Apr 23 11:47:30 2002
I don't think so.  Years ago we used a separate receiver to be able to
listen on two frequencies at once.
Then when transceivers came along with broad band so there was no tuning we
could switch between
the VFO's and good ops found that they could hold a frequency while using
the other VFO to tune around the band.  My old Yaesu even let me have the
other VFO on another band.

The only difference with SO2R is having two rigs rather than two VFO's.  The
next step in complexity is to have each hooked to different antennas and
amps.  I agree with K5ZD's assumption of perhaps 80 less QSO's without SO2R.
Since SO2R have no access to packet or web spots then those operating as
assisted can make better use of SO2R.

I have writelog running and also have web summit so assisted SO2R (mine is
limited to one antenna/amp altho I can switch antennas).  I find that I can
work 4 or 5 mults or others in a test hour.
I don't feel this would hold up for the entire contest.  60 to 80 out of
2880 is quite reasonable for SO no 2R.

While I am at it I don't think the tri-bander single wire is much worse than
tri-bander shorty 2 el 40.
Those of us with one tower think one tower is a better representation if one
is needed at all.

Dave K4JRB