[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: n2mg@contesting.com (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: Wed Apr 24 19:29:09 2002
On Wed, 24 April 2002, Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote

> For years one had to, from time to time, abandon a
> run frequency to find the many multipliers...
> <snip>
> With SO2R the savvy operator just keeps CQing away,
> while finding and working those mults on his second
> radio. That run frequency never becomes available
> for anyone else.

At the risk of not knowing the answer to a question
before I ask it, I wonder how true this is?  It would
be good to compare the logs of top SO1R and SO2R
stations and compare the "park time" on a given run
freq.

Although I may be wrong, I suspect, just like the
difference in total score, the effect of SO2R on
frequency occupation is less than some imagine.

SO2R guys are generally NOT working mults on the same
band they are CQing on.  So if they are CQing on 10m
and want to hunt mults on 10m (a typical move for an
SO1R guy), most SO2R ops are going to have to start
CQing on 15m - freeing up the 10m run freq.  "Savvy"
SO2R guys move around on the bands a lot.

> Tuning up and down a band listening to the same guys
> CQing gets old quickly.

You can't possibly mean to suggest that the SO2R guys
are to blame for this?

> Check out the phone DX contests in about 4 years
> when we don't have 900 KHz
> of useful spectrum on 28 MHz...

This happens every cycle.  IMO, there will be little
clear distinction between the zoo that will exist on
20m with or without there being SO2R operations.

> I see no harm in making available the information on
> who is using it.

Let's list all the pertinent info, then - the ARRL
would "only" publish it on the web anyway (where
bandwidth is "cheap").  Let's list all the antennas,
amplifiers, DSP equipment, auto-switching
arrangements, whether or not the operator had his
meals served to him, or had a bathroom within 15 feet
of the shack, etc.

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com