[CQ-Contest] Re: Consider this

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Consider this
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Thu Apr 25 21:04:23 2002
Richard Zalewski <w7zr@citlink.net> wrote:

> Good, I accomplished what I started out to do and that is to get
people to
> think about this subject (SO2R).

Truly, I'd have to respond that you did not attain your goal.  What
you did
was to reopen a stale topic and give a few of us a chance to get in
some
zingers.  The vast majority of respondents posted opinions in
opposition to
the views you presented.  Most were taken aback by your pronouncement
that the numeric comparison between your score and a leading scorer
could be attributed primarily to your own personal choice of issues
(SO2R).

Most of the respondents who seemed to agree with you also seemed to
be at a loss when presenting their views.  One made comparisons
clearly
showing that he thought all SO2R competitors routinely called CQ on
two bands simultaneously.  Others vastly overestimated the score
advantage that is attained through SO2R or suggested flawed
statistical
methods that they thought we should use to evaluate the value of SO2R
to the competitor. Clearly each of them believed they were presenting
valid arguments, even though their arguments wouldn't stand up under
the weight of examination.

Out of the discussion, one quite interesting suggestion surfaced:

Rather than considering a column showing SO1R or SO2R as a statistic,
the suggestion that the number of bandchanges in the log be printed
was
interesting, to me at least.

Those of us who wish to interpret this as an indicator of possible
SO2R
operation could do so -- and your own personal position would be
buoyed.  Those of us who wish to interpret this as an indication of
"hustle" can do so.  And those of us who object to the concept of
stigmatizing the use of two rigs with a label (TLA) and a  column
(SO2R or SO1R) in the magazines that would provide fuel for
further attacks on everything that represents excellence in contest
operating wouldn't be offended.  These kinds of numbers would be
interesting totop competitors when reading the contest results.

But in the final analysis, the majority of respondents simply said
that
this topic is stale, and they tire from hearing about it.  I, for one,
disagree.  I tend to believe that even a stale topic is worth the
effort
of fighting through dozens of boring, ill tempered, poorly presented
opinions as long as some comedian can push a good joke into the
thread somewhere along the way.

KR6X