[CQ-Contest] Monster antennas

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Monster antennas
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Fri May 10 01:30:35 2002
I'd like to hear from some of you guys with the monster antennas.  I've got
about 3 extra acres here that could hold a monster.  Yes, it would be cool
to have a system that reaches to 200' or so, but would it play well?

I've never played a radio with an HF antenna >70 feet or so.  What should I
expect at 160'?  Oh what the heck, why not 300'?  Seriously, I'm looking at
a new tower and am unsure about the "bang for the buck" on a big boy tower.

My gut tells me that a high tower is a handicap on SS and any other domestic
contest.  Long haul DX may be different but is it going to make a difference
in my score in ARRL DX, CQWW, etc.?

I'd be interested in any and all informed responses.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com