[CQ-Contest] Re: So much for the "California Kilowatt"?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: So much for the "California Kilowatt"?
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Sun May 19 13:21:23 2002
It is said that no good deed goes unpunished.  Apparantly the same is true
of someone trying to enjoy a chuckle with friends.

Based on the number of direct emails I've gotten on this post, I feel it is
neccesary to point out two things:

(1)  I am not picking on the Italians as a whole.  Comments made on this
reflector about I power levels in the recent past notwithstanding.
(2)  I have not forgotten or ignored other unusually hefty amps marketed to
amateurs (the US built Henry 8K being the most frequently mentioned item)
regardless of the point of origin.

I was simply amused that someone would actually have the chutzpah to hand
out flyer promoting a 7 kW output amplifier in the same manner in which the
local pizza shop hands out $1 off coupons.  Period.  Mention of the country
of origin of the amplifier was incidental and would not have mattered
regardless of said country of origin.  And any humor was directed at the
manufacturers of amp, not the entire amateur population of that country as a
whole.

I have also come to the conclusions that some people have chips on their
shoulder and take offense needlessly (though I now wonder if this hit a
little too close to home for a few of those); and as Ray Owens often points
out over on the "Joke A Day" web site, if you're willing to enjoy a good
joke, you must also be prepared when it's your turn in the barrel -- which
many people seem unwilling to do.

Sheesh.

73, ron wn3vaw

"You are a fluke of the Universe
You have no right to be here
And whether you can hear it or not,
The Universe is laughing behind your back"
-- National Lampoon's Deteriorata