[CQ-Contest] eqsl.cc patents?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] eqsl.cc patents?
From: ei4hq@qsl.net (Cormac, EI4HQ)
Date: Tue May 21 21:25:48 2002
> as a programmer I can't see what there is to patent.
> In essence, eQSL.cc is nothing more than a database application.

Well what your saying makes perfect sense - to another programmer anyhow :o)
'cept for one small thing: the whole question of patents & IPR's
(Intellectual Property Rights) doesn't look at the "essence" of what a piece
of software is i.e. at some level its a database or whatever. IPR's &
Patents are awarded, yes for new ideas, but as frequently for "innovative
application" of existing technologies and ideas - in my experience of IPR
issues eqsl would have an argueable case here...

However, I suspect that the idea of electronic qsl'ing long pre-dates eqsl
and someone out there would probably be able to take eqsl to task - remember
the famous case of Mac vs. windows over graphical user interfaces?

I watch with [detached] interest...

Cormac, EI4HQ