[CQ-Contest] Field Day and please copy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Field Day and please copy
From: snichols@mvosprey.com (Scott Nichols)
Date: Wed Jun 26 14:50:41 2002
I think, for many people, the "please copy" acts as an instinctive "bridge"
between the callsign and the report in a situation where a signal report is not
required. We are used to giving a "59" before the required exchange, and when we
can't start the exchange with the standard "59", we want to replace it with
something else.

You rarely hear "please copy" in ARRL DX or CQ WPX etc., where the report starts
with a signal report...

I catch myself somethimes wanting to say it as well, just to smooth out the
verbage in the report...I'm no linguist, but it seems to flow better...Whether
it be "please copy" or "your" or "good morning, your" or whatever...It also
seems a little more friendly...It's been going on for years...I remember my
first Field Day in 1975, one of the old timers said it in every QSO...That still
sticks in my head and is the reason the phrase still comes to my mind when
giving a SSB report in Field Day...Must have been more prevalent back then ?? I
don't know...I stuck to CW this year.......

73, and hope to see you in the RAC Canada Day Contest July 1st 0000z-2359z
(where a signal report IS required, so I'll be testing out my theory!!)

Scott,VE1OP