[CQ-Contest] re CW - dear naysayers - we have proof it works better :-)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] re CW - dear naysayers - we have proof it works better :-)
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Thu Jul 18 01:44:08 2002
as a low power mobile in the Florida QSO Party I must say it is far more =
fun to run stations on CW than to get bits and pieces of and exchange on =
SSB....the operator is indeed more of a factor on CW!

BUT this is WRTC which tests all contest skills including maybe knowing =
when conditions are good enough to make SSB a viable option...

Ken says:

The actual WRTC results haven't historically supported this hypothesis.
Even in 2000, when the scoring was specifically designed to make CW and=20
SSB QSOs equally important (by making one's CW or SSB score based upon=20
a percentage of the highest QSO total made on that mode) the WRTC=20
operators _still_ on average made more CW QSOs than phone QSOs.

Probably because it was easier - and hence more productive!

In a low power environment nobody can argue successfully with me that CW =
isn't a better node!

This is not because I am a code guy - it is because I know what works in =
marginal conditions - anybody can run and be king for a limited amount =
of any contest - when the worked is not our oyster (which is the bulk of =
the contest) is when we see the beauty of CW - even with marginal copy =
both ends you can make it happen, those in the know and any top ten =
finisher in a CW contest will tell you he won not by those phenomenal =
peak Euro hours but the fact that he had a lot of "average" hours where =
he was successful at running the "pw" stations.

When you get great CW ops you get some big numbers...at the low part of =
the cycle the score will close (SSB vs. CW) because those that are =
making QSOs magically happen under strained conditions are doing it on =
SSB!

We can talk faster with our mouths than our fingers on the whole...but =
we hear CW better and that sir is the most important factor in Dxing or =
Contesting - you can;t work em if ya can't copy em!

>From Tropical Florida - hoo wee its hot - tomorrow may break some =
records!

73,

Jim, K4OJ