[CQ-Contest] Why not complain about CQ also?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why not complain about CQ also?
From: aa4ga@contesting.com (Lee Hiers, AA4GA)
Date: Wed Jul 24 16:26:10 2002
On 24 Jul 2002,, Billy Cox wrote:

> The other is our national organization that months ago stated these
> steps were needed for financial reasons ... yet ... there was NO mention
> of that in the recent release.

Yes, it was mentioned a few months back that the results were
being eliminated from QST for financial reasons, but the
announcement in ARLB046 stated:

"the Board agreed that the ARRL Web site now provides a better
medium to report the results of ARRL-sponsored contests, and line
scores no longer will appear in QST."

Which in no way confirms that this is a cost-
saving measure as they previously "advertised".

I would say that it gives reason for concern for
ARRL's continued sponsorship of contests,
possibly even their support of contesting as an
allowable activity on the bands - I would not be
surprised if they proposed a rules change to the
FCC which would prohibit contesting - if you
boil it down to membership numbers, I'm sure the
majority of members (not active $-spending
members, just numbers of members) would support
total elimination of contesting.  It's only a
matter of time.

And I just bought another radio...dangit!

Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, GA