[CQ-Contest] Vertical Advice Needed

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Vertical Advice Needed
From: pschipelliti@att.net (pschipelliti@att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 19:08:56 2002
Hi Gang,

The W1DAD / K1MOM little pistol antenna farm presently
consists of two Carolina Windom Antennas (CW160 special
and CW620) at about 35-40 feet and a Cushcraft R7000+
ground mounted trap vertical.

This week we aquired two other used vertical antennas
that need to be restored.  They are a GAP Challenger DX-
VIII and a Butternut HF6V.  I have the manuals for both.

The R7000+ needs some work and since we have two more
antennas to "play" with, I want to swap out the R7000+
with either the GAP or the Butternut.

I have read the antenna reviews in the various journals
and looked at all of the eham.net reviews.

If you could put up either antenna, would you restore
the GAP or the Butternut?  I would really like to
improve my 80 meter tx/rx so that may influence my
choice.

If you have knowledge or experience concerning these
antennas, which would you install?

I realize that there are many other, preferable antennas
and configurations.  Overall, I'm happy with my Carolina
Windoms.  I simply want to know which of these two
verticals would you use to replace the R7000+ as a
backup antenna?

Thanks & 73

Peter W1DAD@ARRL.NET
Atkinson, NH