[CQ-Contest] but are YOU really

Subject: [CQ-Contest] but are YOU really
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White)
Date: Tue Aug 6 02:29:27 2002
There was a barrage of comments related to CW being outclassed by PSK31
including the following which was typical of them:

"Digipan allows you to copy 2 PSK31 signals at once.  W1SQLPSK allows you
to copy up to 20 (yes, twenty!) PSK31 signals at once."

I believe the problem, which you will in turn say is semantics, that a
lot of us have is that we feel statements like the above are just plain
wrong.

Why?

Because the OPERATOR is NOT COPYING the signals ... a machine is.

If this is indeed the direction we are headed I guess things like
contesting and WRTC are history - after all it will be which engineer
has access to the best components and can design the best boards for
their "decoders"

This is also the reason why a lot of us do not even both investigating
PSK31 - it isn't operating ... I also feel the same way about RTTY. If I
am not having to use my brain to decipher sounds and turn them into
contest exchanges, etc. it is not operating (to me) .

What is the sizzle, what is the romance, why bother?

Data exchange is not operating, IMHO. That's what the internet is for!

And I agree that it is possible to copy more stations at one time on CW
than phone - if you are really good!

73, am not trying to start a fire just stating my opinion - granted it
is from someone who feels older than N6TJ.

73,

Jim, K4OJ