[CQ-Contest] Re: ts-850

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: ts-850
From: k5ka@earthlink.net (Ken Adams)
Date: Tue Aug 27 23:04:17 2002
At 10:46 PM 8/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I went out and traded my TS-570 for a TS-850. I feel as though I have left
the computer age for the stone age. So here are some questions.

First of all, you have acquired a great contest radio!

>1. only have one antenna post I have two antennas comming in there is only
one but I see this recieve antenna mod. Is that just for recieve or can you
transmit on it?

The receive mod is for a receive only antenna.  You only have 1 SO239
available for
your transmit antenna.

>2. To have this hook into computer for like dxbase and have the vfo band
and mode switched auto matically then what can I use. there is no rs232
port so how do you go about hooking it up then is there a  box to buy or what?

Kenwood made an interface called the IF232C, but I recommend you build your
own.
See http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/ts850_mods.txt  for some good mods, including
the
computer interface.

>3. keying with a contest program what can I use to do this with I have rig
blaster will that do the trick?

Check out the W1WEF parallel port interface.  It works great and works with
all the
popular contest logging programs, or you can build your own.

>any other useful hints will be usefull thanks much.

Go to Google and do a search on "TS850 mods", then enjoy the reading.

Good luck and enjoy the rig.
73, Ken K5KA