[CQ-Contest] How is Log Checking actually done?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] How is Log Checking actually done?
From: k9tm@buckeye-express.com (k9tm)
Date: Thu Aug 29 08:17:23 2002
David Jones wrote:
> Based on submitting in that format, is there a "magical" way to merge every
> log and then determine who has contacted who, and which are and are not
> valid?  In other words, have the machines check logs, instead of humans (the
> old fashioned way)?

Cabrillo allows, in simple terms, two major things (at least in the ARRL
case).

1) Logs can be checked for format as they are submitted by an email
robot and if accepted put into CM (configuration management, version
control).

2) A common format for the log checkers and sponsors to work with.

An effective item 1, really helps item 2.

There is no "magic" involved in log checking.  One may think that the
machines are doing the checking but the reality is (the same as it is
with any computer product) that the machine is only as good as the
person(s) who programmed it (and created the requirements for the
programming).  The computer just runs programs.  People create the
programs and requirements.  The computer just does the boring part more
effectively/efficiently/consistently than a human.

There are various methods used by each sponsor and even each contest to
check logs.  K8CC and I have been checking the ARRL 10m/160m logs for
several years now.  I can tell you that cabrillo has been a HUGE benefit
to the process (along with the robot to accept logs).  We used to spend
weeks getting logs into a format that was useable by us... now it takes
just hours.  There are still some that slip through the cracks and need
repair but each year gets better and better as contesters are more aware
of what they are submitting and the robot gets better at catching errors
in format before accepting the logs.

Cabrillo is just a specification of a format.  It is not cabrillo so
much that is making things easier as it is having a specification and
being able to enforce it.  I'm glad to see the ARRL and other sponsors
backing a standard, which happens to be cabrillo.

I think if you want an explanation on "how" logs are checked (in any
detail), it would be more appropriate for you to ask the contest
sponsors.

73 Tim K9TM