[CQ-Contest] November SS Sunday Afternoon

Subject: [CQ-Contest] November SS Sunday Afternoon
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Thu Oct 10 22:21:21 2002
Frankly, I would not favor such a dramatic departure from the
format of the Sweepstakes.  While I can respect your desire to
in the Sweepstakes from ZF2, I feel that the damage of turning the
remaining major contest for American hams that isn't a transatlantic
shootout into a transatlantic shootout would be fatal to contesting in

The Sweepstakes has always been a contest that allowed stations with
smaller/lower antennas to compete on a somewhat even basis with
bigger stations.  It rewarded operators with the skill of quickly and
accurately copying the exchange the critical edge.  Bring in 1000
Europeans and Japanese stations who won't be sending in logs to
work the 10-20 loudest stations they hear and suddenly the ability
to copy an exchange is secondary to how loud your signal is in

So under your proposed new rules smaller stations would suddenly
fall farther behind in the contest.  With plenty of Europeans to work,
there will be less interest in contacting the 150W and QRP stations.
That means less and less fun for the new contesters who try out the
SS for the first time.  The SS contest would lose its unique flavor.

And along the way we'd have lost part of the ability of the contesting
community to attract and encourage new members.