[CQ-Contest] Packet Spots in CQWW

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet Spots in CQWW
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Tue Oct 29 07:52:50 2002
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> At 01:17 PM 10/28/2002 -0800, Scott Pederson KI5DR wrote:
>
> >I noticed that there were a few instances where there were several DX
> >spots for exactly the same frequency - apparently the running station was
> >sending packet spots for stations that worked him.  I'm sure this was
> >un-intentional, but would explain why you follow a packet spot and it
> >turns out to be someone else....

Curious ...

> Well, it wasn't us!  :-)
>
> On Saturday afternoon, KA6BIM put out a number of spots using the KC1XX 10
> meter run frequency (data from http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/)
>
> KA6BIM    28574.7 PY2BT          1933 26 Oct 2002
> KA6BIM    28574.7 LU3HIP         1934 26 Oct 2002
> KA6BIM    28574.7 VA3SK          1936 26 Oct 2002

Curiouser and curiouser ...

> We were not working these stations, and I have no idea where they were on
> the band.  However, it did result in an inordinately large number of
> 0-point stateside callers, as you can see from the log extract below:
>
>      26-Oct-02  1937    895  28574  VE6FI        59  04                2
>      26-Oct-02  1941    899  28574  KM9Z         59  04                0
>      26-Oct-02  1942    900  28574  N3CY         59  05                0

And the beat goes on ...

> Perhaps the VFO that was being read for spotting was different than the one
> he actually tuned with.  Note that he did actually spot KC1XX once, but the
> VFO problem occurred before that spot, and continued afterwards.
>
> 73 - Jim AD1C (one of 10 meter ops at KC1XX)

If that was some sort of a weird yet honest mistake, it could be
overlooked as one of the many technological glitches present in the modern
world.  But if it was an attempt to "screw the competition" (Note - I
didn't say it was, I said IF it was), it would be unsportsmanlike in the
extreme.

It would be interesting to see if this happens again in a major contest.

73, Zack W9SZ