[CQ-Contest] Out of Band operating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Out of Band operating
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Oct 30 14:54:11 2002
At 12:49 PM 10/30/02 -0500, Nzharps@aol.com wrote:
>Mistakes may happen at 21198, but in one case I personally remember (Saturday
>morning) we were at 21135 running EU for more than a few hours.  Over the
>course of that time period, dozens of U.S. stations called in. I can explain
>away a few stations due to the fact that their calls sounded like newer
>licensees, but there were many folks that should really have known better.
>Seems as if some of us are willing to take a chance of operating outside of
>our privileges in order to pick up a multiplier.  What's up with that????

I'm skeptical that people would be that desperate for a PJ2.  I suspect
that many of those who messed up probably were assisted stations that
called you on a point-and-shoot basis.  The ease of operation of the
current generation of logging software, which normally grabs both the
receive and transmit frequencies, makes it really easy to screw up.  If a
VE spots you, with no QSX data, that spot quickly propagates all over the
US.  It's really easy to overlook in the heat of rapid S&P operation, and
be into a QSO before you realize you're simplex somewhere out of the band.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower