[CQ-Contest] SS CW thoughts

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS CW thoughts
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com (Georgek5kg@aol.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 14:22:01 2002
In a message dated 10/31/2002 7:00:06 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
nat@ajheatwole.com writes:

> The sections are multipliers in SS. They are the only multipliers and
> without all 80 of them, one's ability to do well is severely curtailed.
> The purpose of packet is first to inform others of multipliers and
> second to inform them of possible QSOs. To say that the section is not
> needed in a packet spot during SS is analogous to saying that only the
> suffix of a station is necessary in CQ WW, ARRL DX, IARU, and WPX.
>
> When you leave out the section, you limit the usefulness of your spot
> and its ability to help others. And if the goal of packet is not to help
> others, I don't see the purpose of it. In fact, why not just put out the
> first letter of a station's call sign? After all, if you leave out the
> section, why not just leave out most of the call too? I understand that
> you don't want to take the extra time to fill in the sections on your
> spots, but your second reason of not seeing the usefulness of doing so
> doesn't make sense to me.

Nat,

You have clearly landed on the issue of whether or not to include the section
in the spot.  Your toungue-in-cheek suggestion of only spotting the prefix in
a dx contest actually has some merit; doing so would lead to a reduction in
the number of broken-call-spots.

But back to the central issue of including sections in the spots.  For sure,
my position of only posting calls and not sections does not sit well with
those who are perusing spots for section mults.  And, for that I incurred
untold rath in the last SS when I did that.  [I also got a great deal of
support for my actions as well.]  But not to worry, this year I am not going
to use packet so my spots will not be there.

But to complete my thoughts.  I consider the section information something
that must be copied correctly when a station is worked.  The same goes for
serial no. and check.  Heck, if I bother to post the section in a spot, I
might as well go ahead and complete the job by posting the the other info as
well.  And, of course, that is why I draw the line by posting only the
callsign, frequency and time and not a pennyweight more!

Yes, I know this is controversial, but so be it.

73, Geo...

George I. Wagner, K5KG
Productivity Resources LLC
941-312-9450