[CQ-Contest] Remembering KL7Y - From WZ3AR

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remembering KL7Y - From WZ3AR
From: nat@ajheatwole.com (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Sun Nov 3 17:28:08 2002
There are a finite number of individuals that could be considered
"icons" of radiosport and without exaggeration or embezzlement, KL7Y was
one of them.

I remember the first time I worked Dan, many years ago during a DX
contest. I remember thinking to myself, "Hmm, KL7-*Yankee*, he must
really be an OM to have a call like that." Since then, I have been able
to work him everytime I heard him on. While we worked many times over
the years, one QSO sticks out. The summer before this past I was making
skeds to finish up my 5BWAS award and in response to my e-mail request,
Dan, who did not even know me personally, agreed to a QSO on 80m. Our
sked was in August (a tough month for the low bands in AK given the
limited darkness) at well after midnight AK time, and according to Dan,
he stayed up late just for our QSO. The QSO was not easy, but we made it
anyway and Dan was even kind enough to stick around a few extra minutes
to work my Dad, N3FX.

Not long afterwards, the QSL card for the contact arrived in the mail. I
received many of Dan's QSLs over the years, yet every time I was
continually in awe of their uncanny beauty: each depicted a picturesque,
snow-laden slice of the hilly, serene Alaskan wilderness with "KL7Y"
boldly printed in the corner. I never sent KL7Y a QSL card in which he
did not respond punctually. Despite the fact that has was probably
inundated with QSLs from his many operations (many of them
multi-something), he always sent one upon request, and there are few
greater signs of altruism in contesting than a major station who QSLs
100% with all deliberate speed. His QSL ethics were of the rare variety
these days; I could name several stations subscribed to this reflector
whose ethics lag in comparison.

The news of his death came suddenly, I read about it only a few days ago
on the PVRC reflector, but his impact on ham radio and contesting will
not soon be forgotten. Although his key may now be silent, his signal is
not, and I consider myself privileged to have known and worked him.
Although that familiar "Kilo Lima Seven Yankee" will no longer enter the
Heil headset and illuminate the s-meter when I point the beam up towards
Alaska, I know he'll always be there. To Dan's family, I send my
condolences for your loss and my wishes of strength for the future, and
to Dan, thanks so much for the QSOs and for your kindness and I'll catch
up with you on 3830 when the contest of my life reaches 2400z as well.

73, Nat, WZ3AR