[CQ-Contest] Dan Robbins, KL7Y, SK

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dan Robbins, KL7Y, SK
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com (PaulKB8N@aol.com)
Date: Mon Nov 4 08:25:25 2002
I was on an Air Force trip to Anchorage in 1993 and called Dan about the
possibility of joining him for CWSS.  He was delighted to have me join Jon
NL7GP (now KL2A) and him for the contest.

When I arrived at his place, he and Jon had just finished the tower work,
performed in subzero weather.  I found Dan to be a unique individual -- a
tough and determined competitor, but also a warm and gregarious person.

I was overwhelmed by his generosity as he opened his station to this complete
stranger.  Alaska nights provide long hours with little to do when conditions
are bad.
Dan filled the hours with laughter and war stories about his contesting
experience.

Dan's station reflected his commitment to the hobby.  I hope that somehow
there will be someone to fill the huge pair of shoes that Dan leaves behind.
He is a true contesting legend and an exemplary contesting mentor.

Thank you, Dan, we will all miss you.

Paul R. Schaffenberger, K5AF

multipart/alternative
  text/html