[CQ-Contest] Lies and Damn lies

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Lies and Damn lies
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Nov 7 12:42:35 2002
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Ford Peterson wrote:

> In spite of the generally held belief that SSCW is the "Grand Prix" of CW
> contesting, this is not about CW Speed at all.  It is about "Culture."
> Contesting
> culture.  Ever have a job where the work environment is "caustic?"  A great
> job can turn into slavery in no time because the culture is screwed up.
> It's no fun to be there.  A caustic culture can happen at work, in churches,
> sports teams, political campaigns, families, ham radio contests, and
> internet reflectors.

I guess it has to do with familiarity, intention, fortitude and/or
expectancy.  If you have the intention and the fortitude to put up with
miserable behavior from some, you just deal with it.  If you are familiar
and know what to expect, it doesn't faze you.

There's a famous restaurant in Chicago called Ed Debevic's.  The
waitresses are paid to be rude to the customers.  Most of the customers
know this, expect it and play along.  If you went in there not knowing of
their reputation or not expecting it, I suppose you wouldn't stay there
very long.

BTW, I estimate from what I know that only a tiny percentage of contesters
are rude.  Probably the same percentages as in any other endeavor.

73, Zack W9SZ