[CQ-Contest] Pile Up in the Top Ten Box

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Pile Up in the Top Ten Box
From: wb0o@yahoo.com (BILL STRAW)
Date: Thu Nov 7 16:50:27 2002
To change the subject just a bit....

  There seems to be an amazing pile up developing to
get into the CW SS SO HP Top Ten Box. It looks like
there are 10+ stations vying for spots # 8,9, and 10.
Most of the Top Ten in fact will come down to the log
checking. Last year the Top 20 lost from 13 to 72(!)
QSO's in the checking, so this could really go down
to the wire.
  The question is: why does it take until June to get
the results? The entire contest season will be over,
and it may (or may not) be summer here, and my mind
will be a million miles from contests.
  A proposal: If you are playing for the Top Ten, you
have 24 hours to get your Cabrillo logs in. (Please
don't offer any excuses, people with a room full of
radio gear can manage this requirement.)
  A database of all worked calls is made up from the
logs, and the correct exchange info for each call is
determined, say by 90% agreement amongst the entered
logs. Incorrectly copied Q's are removed from the
entered logs.
  The question of what to do with uniques. This is
probably meat for a years worth of discussion. IMHO,
it seems that there should be NO uniques among the
top 100 or so scorers in the CWSS contest. There is no
"begging" for Q's (anybody, anywhere) like on SSB, and
all the logs for all the Top Ten box entrants would
be in the database (Q,A,B,U,M classes). Uniques are
thus tossed out. I could live with this for the CWSS.
  The results would be posted in a week. Tree, your
comments? The last thought I have is that maybe QST
would publish Top 20 boxes if they are going to do
away with the line scores. That leaves 100 spots to
get your call in QST, certainly a suitable goal for
a contester willing to put in some time and effort.

Back to the regular program........

73, Bill WB0O in North Dakota