[CQ-Contest] Re: CW Speed and error handling, etc.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CW Speed and error handling, etc.
From: aa4ga@contesting.com (Lee Hiers)
Date: Sat Nov 9 01:34:05 2002
On 5 Nov 2002 at 10:27, tgstewart@pepco.com wrote:

> I dont agree that we are losing newbies directly because of CW speed.
> There is just less interest and incentive in learning the code to start
> with....it has no more commercial/military viability.

Hmmm...when I learned the code, and 8 months later, when I passed the
20 wpm Extra code test, I didn't do it because of any commercial or
military viability.  I just wanted my ham ticket.  That was incentive
enough.  And I had no desire to operate code at that time...it was
only after I had gained a reasonable degree of proficiency that I
began to enjoy using CW and started using it as a matter of choice.

> You have to want to do it for JUST for fun and games now, which isnt
> enough incentive for most to become literate, let alone highly
> proficient.

It's the best incentive...but I'm odd anyway...I took the CPA exam
more as a personal challenge than for the potential income benefit...

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia