[CQ-Contest] DXBase vs. DX4WIN vs. ?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] DXBase vs. DX4WIN vs. ?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri Nov 29 17:06:51 2002
At 03:12 PM 11/29/02 -0600, Dale L Martin wrote:

> > Happy Thanksgiving all!
> >
> > I'm looking for opinions on what the preferred logging software
> > is within the DX and contesting community.  Not contest software,
> > but general purpose multifunction logging software.  The front
> > runner used to be DXBase, and I also know several folks using
> > DX4WIN.  Are there other serious contenders out there?  Please
> > send any feedback direct pro or con on any alternatives out there.
> >
> > Thanks and 73,
> > -Mike, K4GU
> >

>Be sure you really, really want what you are buying, especially if you buy
>DX4WIN.  I bought it and later found out that I just didn't ever use it.
>When I inquired about selling it to someone who could use it, I was told I
>would be taken to court if I did -- Also, the software owner wouldn't honor
>it for updating if I did sell it. So, I threw it in the trash.

This is really surprising.  I'm a battered survivor of DXBase and their
lousy support and upgrade policies, and have found a happy home with DX4WIN
since release 0.97.  I have always found their upgrade policies quite
generous and their support excellent.  I'm sure the letter of their license
is as you describe, but then that's true of virtually all software; it sure
sounds like you got badly crosswise with them to get the full force of it.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower