[CQ-Contest] 160 metres

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 160 metres
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Mon Dec 2 17:48:40 2002
For transmitting your wisest choice will probably be a variation on an
inverted-L top loaded vertical.  Horizontal antennas are not of much
use unless you can get one up around 200 feet high.  The inverted-L
is basically a top loaded vertical.

The best one I ever put up was a one-weekend wonder that was
erected in the mid 70's.  I put a 30' telescoping television mast out
the
top of the mast on my tower.  The top of the television mast was
almost 90 feet high.  There I hung an insulator.  A vertical wire went
from the ground to the insulator, and another approximately 80 feet
of wire ran downward from the apex at a mild slope, tied to a long
piece of rope, around 160 feet of rope and wire together in the "flat
top".  It fit my property; you need to fit yours.  I ran 4 elevated
radials -- ~6 feet up at the center point and grounded at the corners
of
the property.  I fed the antenna with 50 ohm coax through a big 400
pF fixed capacitor and trimmed the end of the flat top to resonance
(as I remember, I only cut a few feet off as it was already very close
to resonance).  It wouldn't have lasted through a mild breeze, but it
did survive two nights of the ARRL 160M contest.  I ran ~100W
output from a Drake R4A/T4X pair and received numerous unreadable
calls through the entire contest period.  These days you'd need more
power and a better receiving antenna to be satisfied, but in those
days
a KW was only allowed on 160M during the day.