[CQ-Contest] publcizing reports of 'assumed, suspected' statiions with b

Subject: [CQ-Contest] publcizing reports of 'assumed, suspected' statiions with bad sigs..
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri Dec 13 08:50:58 2002
I agree, any reporting process should be open (no anonymous
postings), and should include all the relevant time,  frequency, band,
and mode data, so the offending station will be able to correlate
the bad signal reports with his operator(s), station configuration,
rig used, etc. In multioperator situations on SSB for instance, dirty
signals can easily result from inexperienced operators cranking up
the mic gain too high, and even on CW, multiple rigs are often
used, so here too nailing the exact time and frequency can be
relevant in the troubleshooting process.

An open process will allow the offending station to respond to
the reports, ask questions of those making the reports, and update
the community as to what steps he or she has taken or will be
taking to remedy any identified problems.

The flavor of this system should be one of hams helping hams with
constructive feedback as opposed to a Salem Witch Trial. It should
be moderated to encourage reports that are scientifically minded
with as much technical detail as possible (equipment used, filters
settings, NB=OFF, antenna configuration, etc) and explicitly
discourage cheap shots, name calling, finger pointing, and other
forms of ad hominem attack.

If done correctly, this sort of thing could really provide a great
service to the contesting community (cleaner signals mean more
clear frequencies for everyone to enjoy and more QSOs possible).

BTW, I think this 598K reflector should be a last resort. I have
contacted a number of US stations privately over the last few
years to let them know that they might have a problem with their
station and that I was willing to assist them with the troubleshooting
process. Generally the response I have gotten from these folks
has been positive.

My $.02

73 de Mike,