[CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.
From: k0hb@earthlink.net (KØHB)
Date: Tue Dec 3 05:02:38 2002
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>

> Oh yes, Hans is right -- Hawaii was K6.  Before World War II.  That's
> irrelevant to today's contesting, tho an interesting if trivial fact.  I
> don't know whether or not there's an ITU or FCC regulation mandating the use
> of the appropriate prefix in this type of situation, tho I'm sure if there
> is , sooner or later someone will dig it up.

The notion that amateurs in Hawaii are assigned a prefix of AH/KH/WH/NH/(6)(7)
is an arbitrary construct of US INTERNAL regulations, and has no official
international standing.  That they can keep that prefix when they move to some
other spot in the United states is a fact -- you'll just have to deal with it.
KH2D is fully within his rights to keep that call, and is not under any
regulatory obligation to sign any cumbersome tacked-on prefix/suffix.

"Tim Makins, EI8IC" <contesting@eircom.net> says:

> And what right have they got to waste the time of busy people
> like Jim AD1C and others who have to track them down and
> enter them into the .cty lists ???

The ".cty" list are a crutch for computer operators.  Radiomen understand how to
copy Zone numbers.

> Whatever the reasons for holding on to their cherished or 'cool'
> callsign, I would like them banned from all future contests.

Perhaps persons who rely on ".cty" lists should be banned from all future
contests.

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB (ex-KG6AQI)
Grand Exhalted Liberator or the Electric Smoke
--
  "Everything not specifically prohibited is mandatory."
                                           -- Some Control Freak