[CQ-Contest] Key clicks improved on the Mark-V FIELD?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Key clicks improved on the Mark-V FIELD?
From: gussam@newcomm.net (Gus Samuelson)
Date: Thu Dec 12 09:39:25 2002
As a new owner (yesterday) of the Mark V field and I am sure there
must be many others  any info relative to this  issue  posted here
would be welcomed. Likewise I will not have time to make any
alterations
before the 10 meter contest.

73 Gus VO1MP

On Wednesday, December 11, 2002 1:50 PM, Tim Totten, N4GN
[SMTP:n4gn@n4gn.com] wrote:
> I have a few questions, but first some background . . . I've
owned
> a Yaesu
> FT-1000MP Mark-V Field (has to be the longest name in ham radio)
> since
> May.  I'll admit that I've not made any key click mod to it (at
> least not
> yet), and I've also not done any extensive testing for key
clicks.

> Just looking at the scope captures in the ARRL product reviews,
> the
> original MP and the Mark-V look very similar, and I would expect
> clicks
> based only on that data.  But the scope captures on the Field
> look
> considerably better, especially on the first "dit".  Just
> comparing these
> three waveforms, I would expect the Field to be much improved
over
> both
> the original MP and the Mark-V.  In other words, it looks to me
> like Yaesu
> has tried to address this issue in the latest version, and the
> Field could
> be expected at least to have LESS of a key click problem than the
> two
> earlier versions.  Maybe they even SOLVED the key click problem
> with the
> Field.
>
> In the expanded product review for the Field, there are a couple
> of plots
> labeled "Keying Sidebands" that show the -30 dB points at around
> +/- 800
> Hz from the center freq.  There are no corresponding plots in the
> expanded
> reviews of the earlier products.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1) Any comments on this?  Any "real life" data or comparisons?
>
> 2) IF the Field is indeed better than the original MP or the
Mark-