[CQ-Contest] Re: Statement regarding the use of BEACONet in ARRL VHF Co

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Statement regarding the use of BEACONet in ARRL VHF Contests
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Sat Jan 18 15:02:17 2003
On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:03:36PM -0500, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:

> To be fair, so that there is no misunderstanding:  If BEACONet-for-Rovers
> operation DQ's a contestant's entry, then so will simply picking up your
> microphone and saying, "CQ Contest, this is N1ND in FN31nm".  That is all
> that BEACONet-for-Rovers does...it just happens to use simplex AX.25
> rather than simplex SSB....yet this is a strategy commonly used when
> soliciting contacts on SSB.

So, when you call "CQ" via a Beaconet AX.25 datagram, will you ever
complete a two-way QSO on the same frequency using AX.25?  Or is the
Beaconet "CQ" really always intended to solicit a QSO that will take
place on another frequency and another mode?  I think if it is the latter,
then your AX.25 "CQ" is really not in the spirit of fair competition.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops