[CQ-Contest] So2R

Subject: [CQ-Contest] So2R
From: ua9cdc@r66.ru (Igor Sokolov)
Date: Sun Jan 26 11:18:09 2003
> << Packet is a 'trick of the trade' --  it has its own category for single
> ops. >>
>
> Packet is NOT a trick of the trade.....It IS getting active assistance in
S/P
> ing for multipliers from another human being....a second or third op.
Having
> the abiltiy to copy 60 WPM or to copy on one xcvr and tranmitting on a
second
> xcvr IS a trick of the trade.  The operator is not getting any active
> asssitance from another human being in copying 60 WPM or doing a two radio
> operation.  If some guy is sitting there in the shack helping the operator
> find stations or copying the cw for him, that's a different story.

Another computer or several computers with several additional radios can do
all of the above, including spots feeding :) IMHO that is more  aid then
packet cluster which sometimes makes more difficult to work spotted station
then if you were to find it yourself.

> Again, we heard all the stuff before back in the 80s when computer logging
> was coming into use....unfair advantage...blal blah blah. The computer
sends
> CW.  It changes the bands for the op.  It keeps track of multipliers and
> dupes.  It tells me beam headings.  Jeez, some guys can even use it to
turn
> their beams to the correct heading.  Come to think of it, maybe we need
> another classification for operators with assistance from computers to
turn
> their antennas. It sounds like an unfair advantage to me. I can't do it
with
> my rotors.

You have forgotten SCP and memory exchange and zone filling in and several
other smaller things the number of which is increasing every year. We need
to define the level of aid from the technology in order to be able to draw
the line or leave it all in the same category.

Igor, UA9CDC