[CQ-Contest] REALLY long contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] REALLY long contests
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Fri Feb 7 12:41:35 2003
The early 60's ARRL DX contest was a little bit like collecting QSL's
for
DXCC.  The creators of the contest saw no reason to work many guys in
each country; as you logged your contact you'd also write it onto your
quota sheet.  When all of the spaces for a country were filled on the
quota sheet, then you would get no points for any additional contacts
with
that country.  You really only got to work a few guys in each country
before the quota was filled.  It meant that big contact totals were
only
available to stations in rare countries.  League headquarters was
quite
happy with the rules, as it kept the West Coast (lots of potential JA
contacts) from competing against New England as they were able to do
in the CQWW contest in those days.  But, really, it wasn't very much
fun and it turned the ARRL DX contest into a second rate event.