[CQ-Contest] Claimed vs. Checked

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Claimed vs. Checked
From: frenaye@direcway.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Fri Feb 28 11:15:07 2003
At 08:03 AM 2/24/2003 -0600, Mark Beckwith/N5OT wrote:
>Dale asked:
>
>>At what point in time will 'winning' via dink's 3830
>>contest score reports have more weight (ie, be cause
>>for celebration, sighs of relief/grief, etc) than the
>>published final results in the magazines/online?
>
>Hopefully claimed scores will never have more weight than checked scores,
>but it's a loaded question.  If Dink's/Bruce's system somehow incorporated
>score checking, that would be different.  If an online, sponsor-independent
>system evolved to where people submitted not scores but logs, and
>high-quality log-checking was applied to them, then perhaps this could kick
>the sponsors in the butt to get the results out sooner, but, like Dink, I am
>not saying this to start the result-turnaround debate again.

One thing to consider is that scores submitted through 3830 score reporting may
not be the same as those submitted to the contest sponsor.  I know that I'll
often post my score to 3830 within a day or two, then before sending in the log
to the sponsor I'll deal with problem multipliers or merging logs from multiple
stations, sometimes changing the claimed score.

3830 will have a large percentage of the claimed scores, but not all of them.
For ARRL contests, the claimed score listings should be relatively complete
(except for slow logs sent by postal mail).

        http://www.arrl.org/contests/claimed/

After the log submission deadline has passed (30 days), the list of received
logs includes the claimed score so you can get the almost full picture of
claimed scores about a month after the contest.   If you really want to, you
can also take that list and import it into a spreadsheet to select/sort the
data to look more carefully at the competition in your category.   Then the log
checkers do their thing...

                                -- Tom

e-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com    YCCC --> http://www.yccc.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444