[TowerTalk] Contesting on a Budget - Your inputs, thanks!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Contesting on a Budget - Your inputs, thanks!
From: Paul Schaffenberger <paulk5af@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 06:01:34 -0800 (PST)
I've gotten several great inputs so far for the May-June column, but I know
there are more out there!  Thanks in advance for your great support of this
column!

Recycled Aluminum

It is often cheaper to rebuild an old beam than to buy new.  What are your
favorite rebuilding tips? What are the best systems to rebuild?  Where do you
find replacement parts?  Is it worth salvaging old or broken/bent systems?  How
do you use new design software to make the ?resurrected? system even more
capable?  What physical and durability improvements do you recommend?

Additional thoughts:  Has anyone made hybrid beams using, for example, a
trapped reflector of one manufacturer and driven element of another.  N4BP has
used one half of a trapped triabander driven element on his camper as a
vertical, anyone else tried either this are a variation of this?

Again, it is your insight and inputs that has made this column interesting and
fun for me, and hopefully for the rest of the contest community.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Paul, K5AF