[CQ-Contest] Callsign advantage

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Callsign advantage
From: shr@medinaec.com (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Thu Mar 13 08:34:56 2003
I *AM* W0UN now and I wouldn't change--BUT the
"obvious" phonetics (United Nations) are becoming
somewhat controversial--plus they just don't work.
Nations is not standard and is usually miscopied as
Ocean.

The call is relatively short on CW but does end in a
dit--although I have never found that to be a real problem.
Obviously, activity is key here.

But, in retrospect, my old 1x3 call was pretty darn good
on CW (but lousy on phone).  Although a ZERO is really
long it does have high average power and the suffix of UTX
had a great rhythm on CW--especially if you "swing" it
just a bit.

But K0UTX was never well known--only did a few contests
under my own call--mostly I operated at multi-multi stations.

John   W0UN    (ex--K0UTX)