[CQ-Contest] Guest OPS

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Guest OPS
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (k1ttt@arrl.net)
Date: Mon Mar 31 07:12:10 2003
there are several options:

1. if you as a general stay within your license privileges you can be the
control op and use either his call or yours with no extra id requirements.
you can be real single op as you can do all the operating by yourself.
2. if you want to use the advanced or extra band segments you can:
2.a. use your call slash his call (or is it the other way around), and he must
be there as the control op.  for the contest i believe this would make you
multi op since you can legally not transmit there yourself.
2.b. use his call (with no slash), but he must still be there all the time and
i think this still makes you a multi op.

i don't think this is a problem with contest rules as they must be general
enough to handle all the possible combinations of US and other country rules.
the statement that you have to follow the regulations of your country should
be enough to cover all conditions.  the problem in this case is the extra
requirement for a control op in the fcc regulations that forces you into a
multi op class for the contest.

> This weekend I have found out there is a major flaw in our contest rules
that makes no
sense to me. I went to my fathers station who has an extra license. I have a
general
licese. But none the less I was the "Guest OP" there. Well that is how I was
going to do
this. Until we questioned ourselves. How can I be the "Guest OP" when I am
using his call
and his privilidges. I always see for example XXXX @ YYYY.  So I now figured
we had to be
a MS1. Multi Single 1 transmitter. Why is this? Due to the fact that ham XXXX
is operator
1 and YYYY is operator 2 = 2 ops one station. YYYY doesn't even have to
operate though he
is the Control station. He has to be there. So think of this in your mind.
There is no
such thing as a "Guest OP" it is a Multi Single or Multi OP always. Since as
long as you
use the station callsign and not yours call sign they are the Control OP as I
see it
unless it is a club station callsign.