[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike conduct

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike conduct
From: barry@mxg.com (Barry Merrill)
Date: Tue Apr 1 14:55:07 2003
And you reminded me of a similar sequence of QSOs
on the old 3800 KHz Caribbean Emergency Net in
1970-1972 when I was KG4CS at Guantanamo Bay,
and the other station was Fernando, CO2FA.
Metz, 6Y5EM played the same game of sharing our
mutual reports without direct contact.

Then one evening, my boss, the Base's Commander,
Admiral Brian McCauley, for whom I had run many
phone patches, but who had not been at my quarters,
came over for dinner and then listened in at the
2200 local net time, and asked why I did not talk
to Fernando direct.  I showed the Admiral "his"
base regulation (written long ago) that prohibited
contact with Cuban stations.  On the spot he struck
that sentance, signed it, said the rules were
changed, and I had my first direct QSO from
KG4CS to CO2FA.

Barry, W5GN