[CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Thu May 8 17:26:54 2003

> I don't think you're missing anything, although I'd certainly like to
> check out the Orion. From what I heard earlier, the Orion has similar
> operational flexibility to an FT-1000MP. The second rx is a basically
> tool for listening to your transmit freq when operating split.
> World-class rx2 performace is not required.  Although, unlike the MP,
> the Orion lets you listen to a second band with a different antenna, my
> understanding is that you can't do that while transmitting.

Rick,
What we did with the FT-1000MP primary station at ZF1A during CQ WW CW was
pretty cool, but it took two ops.

The primary operator would be calling cq on the transmitter and main
receiver.  The other op listened on the subreceiver.  Between the two, a
couple of calls could generally be pulled from the pileup to work in quick
succession.  One of the interesting phenomena was the frequency at which the
other operator and I both picked the same call.  It didn't seem to matter if
the note was high, medium, low, strong, medium or weak.  Tuning off
frequency about a half-kHz seemed to help.