[CQ-Contest] Contest Operating types

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Operating types
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue Jun 3 14:51:13 2003
K4OJ and S56A said:======================
K4OJ wrote:  A contester takes on other contesters in the hopes that he is
engaging
in a fair battle - a level playing field if you will.

There are two possible approaches to contesting:  Olympian with the emphasis
on participation and modern American - must win!
=====================================

I still feel that there are a lot of contesters that just work the contests
to have fun.  If they win that is just icing on the cake.  We spend a lot of
time and effort to attract the ones who must win (not just an American
trait).  However most contests depend on the rank and file operators who get
on to work a few stations, to test their gear or antennas on a band (or
bands), and just to have fun working stations that normally can't be found
or worked.  Then there is a group that just get on to participate.  These
last two groups are 85 to 90% of stations worked.  Let's never forget we
depend on them.

73 Dave K4JRB