[CQ-Contest] YM vs OM [ kinda long story/analogy ]

Subject: [CQ-Contest] YM vs OM [ kinda long story/analogy ]
From: k9yo@cedrick.net (K9YO-Cedrick Johnson)
Date: Wed Jun 4 19:31:29 2003
I agree. I'm scared of what N6MJ can do from W1 LOL ;)

Not all YM's are "point and clickers"
Not all YM's do not know how to listen

Just because people are young, doesn't mean they don't know what to do,
or know
enough to realize that what they do NOT know, and create a plan to learn
it.

Take for example trading (what I do).. The young kid that join a trading
pit full
of old guys.

The first month, the young kid gets raked over the coals on EVERY TRADE.
Ripped
off big time by the old experienced traders. All his technology, the
handheld
trading devices, the buy/sell charting programs, the whizz-bang
electronic
communication device, etc can't save him from that.

But, the young trader fortunately realizes that all this new tech
doesn't get him
anywhere without knowing the history and current trends of the markets
(like a OM who has seen all kinds of propagation scenarios, etc). So,
now, the
kid RECOGNIZES what he does not know. He can make 3 decisions:

1) Keep trading in ignorance, and stay at the bottom of the standings
because it's
too hard to learn the funamentals, and it's not easy

2) Quit - because it's not easy

3) Create a plan to begin to learn the "fundamentals" of the job
(contesting)
and find a mentor (elmer) - because he's actually interested

So, let's visit the scenario a year later. The kid is in the pits, with
all his
whizz bang technology and charts, etc. (packet) but this time he's armed
with
knowledge. He may not have the YEARS of experience, but he knows enough
to begin
to be competitive. He begins to stop his losses. He moves up in the
standings.

Some of the older people in the pit HATE new technology, and get stuck
in their ways.
The kid, armed with technology (note that he relies MAINLY on
FUNDAMENTALS of
"contesting", and uses the technology as an added guide (pick up the
mults that
you didn't find by operating FUNDAMENTALLY, and using this technology
LEGALLY.. You
don't want to mess with the SEC or NASD). He begins outperforming many
of the
OM's in the pit.

The point i'm trying to make is, yes, there are some YM contesters who
rely SOLELY
on the whizz-bang technology in ham radio and think they're going to
beat a OM
world class op. They will do one of the 3 things I listed above. Most
choose 2,
some choose 3, and a few choose 1. But, never underestimate YM's when it
comes to
INTEGRATING the NEW TECHNOLOGY with PROVEN FUNDAMENTALS in contesting.

Just so we're on the same page, PROVEN FUNDAMENTALS = knowing where to
look in the
band, times, prop, etc.

If you get the fundies down, and you use technology to help you get
EVERYTHING
you possibly can (LEGALLY) you can do anything you set your mind to.
Never
underestimate the sheer power of fundamentals and technology combined in
LEGAL and productive manner.

BTW, the kid I used in the story is NOT me (i still get raked over the
coals in
pit trading LOL).. but it is a good friend of mine. Not a ham op, but
the same
thing applies. But, I know what I need to learn. I've found a mentor
(elmer)
and I'm learning. I'm also learning how to apply the new technology in
the
trading markets to hopefully, give me that last "MULT" when I need it
most.

Thanks for reading, happy contesting!

-Fred "Freb", K9YO