[CQ-Contest] Rebutal to rebuttle to rebuttle

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rebutal to rebuttle to rebuttle
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Wed Jun 11 19:17:20 2003
There have been a lot of posts about packet here recently, so
many that it's hard to tell which one you're rebutting sometimes.

It's pretty clear that we're not here to gripe and to disapprove.
We may put our ideas in the form of gripes and disapprovals, a
bunch of "ABSOLUTE DISGRACE" statements, etc., but what
we are really doing is talking about is the things that would make
contesting more fun -- hopefully more fun for all of us.

Those who tell us that casual contesters use packet and packet
increases casual contester's contest contact totals have a great
message.

Those who tell us that highly competitive contesters don't always
personally enjoy using packet, despite the fact that they get a
marginal score increase, make a great point too.  Perhaps this is
because highly competitive contesters see themselves as receiving
less benefit from packet than do the less competitive contesters.

The highly competitive contesters are also particularly keen on
avoiding scenarios where cheating is encouraged by poorly
selected poorly written, or poorly enforced rules, or where the
rules create an uneven playing field where an even playing field
is practical.

My opinion is that this discussion is needed.  If we don't discuss
these things, then contests with problematical rules (example: the
present WAE packet rules) are allowed to proliferate.

Truthfully, I believe that most DX contests do a very poor job
of creating an even playing field.  I believe this, even though I'd
have to point up that most VHF contests are worse in this
regard.  It's just built in to the nature of the beast.  I'd really
like to see a good DX contest where the level of difficulty for
each contact is somehow factored into the scoring.  Perhaps
in such a contest the use of packet in locating the station should
count against the score awarded for the contact, just to be fair.

There is a pretty good precident for these kinds of approaches.
We've had contests with power multipliers, contests with point
advantages for CW contacts over phone contests.  Difficult
contacts such as those with countries not yet contacted in the
contest are routinely rewarded seriously by the scoring systems.

So let's keep the new ideas on the table, and avoid cursing
them as "gripes" and "disapproval".  My favorite new idea is
cutting packet out of the equation for the competitive multi's to
allow mutiops to be more fun for the operators.