[CQ-Contest] Packett can cheapen the competitor in all of usifwe let it

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packett can cheapen the competitor in all of usifwe let it...
From: N7MAL@CITLINK.NET (N7MAL)
Date: Fri Jun 13 17:13:18 2003
GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!

"""'Packet', or probably more correctly, 'dx spotting nets', are nothing
new.  Think back, way back, if you were in a populated area before there was
packet there were voice
repeaters being used to pass dx information between multi ops.  Were there
cheaters in those days who listened in and entered as single op?""""

In those days, during contests, the voice spots were minimal and were
controlled within a local area. In the early days of Packet there were only
local area clusters. I lived in San Diego county, in those days, and the San
Diego DX Club and premier contesters like K6NA, N6ND, W6YA. etc  kept a very
careful watch. In those days local peer pressure kept any cheating and
improprieties to a bare minimum. The only section 'EVER' spotted during SS
was VE8. Now every section is spotted ad-nauseam and yes even I've been
spotted during SS, 10 Meter, 160, etc. What possible reason in any US
domestic contest could there ever be for spotting N7MAL in AZ???? What is
even more pathetic than the person who spotted me are the guys who run to
that spot and work me. The last 2 years I've checked the QSO rate jumps and
they occurred  at exactly the same time someone spotted me.
We need to get back to real contesting, you against me, and the better score
wins. Assisted was a bad experiment, it doesn't work, get rid of it.

Lastly you said: ""The key here is to find, expose, and force out those
cheaters who would lessen our enjoyment of our chosen hobby. ""
NO, the key is to remove the temptation, remove the most blatant form of
cheating from contests, DXPacket Cluster. It has no useful purpose, none,
zip, nada, in contesting.

MAL                N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
www.citlink.net/~suzyq/N7mal.htm