[CQ-Contest] Why scores are higher

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why scores are higher
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed Jul 2 13:05:15 2003
The question was asked:

.  When I operated at N2RM (and won m/m), I remember
> KQ2M (also there) asking me, "how come the scores are so much bigger now
> than when you were at N2AA/K2GL?"

There are many more stations in contests these days.  Even in a single op
environment long hours were spent CQing (I listened to K2GL call CQ...every
time I passed their frequency on a band).  Good runs were only 40 to 60 QSOs
and most hours were 20 or less.  Plus on phone the use of SSB (before 1963
everyone used AM too).   SSB makes it possible to run up much higher ARRL SS
Phone scores than CW.

The last time I ran the CQ WW Phone in a M/S environment I had a number of
hours on 10 SSB with 100+ QSO hours (with a TH7DX at 100 feet).  K2GL would
have killed for this.

Plus ask me about quotas in the ARRL DX CW...HI.

73 Dave K4JRB