[CQ-Contest] Re: SCOURGES OF CONTESTING, CHAPTER 3

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: SCOURGES OF CONTESTING, CHAPTER 3
From: n2nl@n2nl.net (David Mueller)
Date: Wed Jul 9 20:41:10 2003
My annual contribution to the CQ-Contest reflector....

Since I was one of those mentioned, I figured I should reply.

Dan and I tried to make use of the newest computer technology, however
the logging software version we has was apparently too new, and it had
several bugs, including a broken band map and flagging dupes as needed
multipliers.  We ended up using the laptops only to log QSOs and to keep
track of the bottom line so the referee had something to report for the
live scoreboard.

We passed QSOs and multipliers with a pad of paper which was sitting
between the keyboards.

We didn't have any automatic antenna switching either.  We used a couple
of jumpers and barrel connectors to manually swap the antennas between
rigs, which ended up being a rookie mistake and slowed QSYs.  Martti had
a look of "What the heck are you thinking?" when he saw our switching
setup.

Considering N6MJ to be new computer technology COULD be a valid
argument.  He's a machine while working a pileup.  He deserves the
credit.

Back to net...

73, Dave N2NL\4

>Or maybe it was just better, uh radio, operating on their part?  I sure
as
>hope hell we're NOT, repeat NOT, evolving to "who is the best computer
>operator"!  Do YOU think this is what radio contesting should be,
Mario?

>Hey, for WRTC 2006, we can all stay home, and fireup our computers and
>conduct the competition on-line.  Oh boy, I can hardly wait for that
one.

>Jim  N6TJ

achieved