[CQ-Contest] Licensing Changes

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Licensing Changes
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri Jul 25 11:04:14 2003
Its too bad that the FCC jumped the gun with the 5 wpm
extra class. With the new international regs eliminating the
CW requirement on HF, I think a good compromise would
be to eliminate the CW requirement completely for the the
general class license, but keep a 13 or 20 wpm requirement
for the extra class. This would provide an avenue for
technolphiles who feel that CW is technologically passe to
gain access to the HF bands while at the same time
preserving an incentive for people to learn CW. An even
more interesting twist would be to offer an really
challenging "advanced theory" test to those seeking the
extra class license as an alternative to the CW test.  The
extra class applicant would then chose whether or not to
take the advanced CW test or the advanced theory test.
This would of course be in addition to the current extra class
written test. Passing the basic theory test and either one of
the optional advanced tests would be ground for passing the
extra class exam. The amateur community could then sit
back and watch the statistics to see how many people
opted for hitting the books every night vs hitting the
earphones. Of course the advanced theory test would
really have to tough. Not just a pool of answers to memorize,
but a real test that would require weeks or months of study
(similar to a college course), so that the amount of effort
(on average) would be the same for the theory test versus
the morse test. So as not to create any kind of class warfare,
once the extra class was granted, the FCC database would
NOT indicate which option was exercised by the
applicant (the FCC would just track raw numbers of
people using each option).