[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest] mass QSL-card address-label printing?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest] mass QSL-card address-label printing?
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Fri Jul 25 18:06:03 2003
Don,

There's no easy way to do this.  I could do it in about four steps.

First, buy a QRZ.COM CD, then import the data (ascii delimited text) into
you favorite database program (I still use dBase IV & 5.7 though M$ Access
has captured the bulk of the market).  This gives you relatively easy access
to the US callsign  addresses.  I'd also index the database via callsign,
you'll see why in a sec.

Then, I'd extract the calls (only) from the log(s) in question -- and do a
"unique" extract so you only get one entry for each call worked no matter
how many times you worked him.  Import this list into a database that has
room for the address information.

Next, I'd write a very simple query.  Start with the first record from the
extract database, find the match in the callsign database, and import the
name, address, and zip info.  Continue until you reach the end of file.

Finally, excluding blanks (non-matches), print mailing labels from the
extract database.

It's actually not that tough, it sounds harder than it looks.

Why the QRZ CD?  RAC is encrypted, and I don't know what format(s) the other
competitors use.  However, before someone blasts me on this one, BUY IT,
don't borrow it.  It would be unethical to borrow someone else's CD, copy
the data, and return it.  I think they call that "stealing."  If you buy it,
you are merely converting the data into a more useable format, which is
normally an acceptable use.

You can also go further (there are ways to do SQL queries to on-line
databases to get up to date information).  This is just a suggested starting
point.

73, ron wn3vaw

After being grilled by Milwaukee police, is the wurst over for the
Pittsburgh Pirate's Randall Simon?
One thing's for sure; there are no weiners in this one...