RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: ON4UN and the Ten-Tec Orion

To: "Cq-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: ON4UN and the Ten-Tec Orion
From: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:32:04 -0000
Though I have strong doubts as Mario, this one is not warranted.
I will await with anticipation the ARRL Lab tests.

With modern RTTY programs and TU's, you can copy RTTY with one
of the tones completely missing.  This is because all of the
good ones for two decades after Dave Mills taught us all how,
use a sliding threshold for the slicing detector.  Given the
constant group delay through the FIR filters in the radio,
I suspect John's statement about RTTY to be completely
correct.  Do not try it however under weak signal or QRM
conditions.  That test is a strong signal test primarily.

Bob
N4HY