[CQ-Contest] SS Question - THE intangible 'WHY'

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS Question - THE intangible 'WHY'
From: "Chuck" <k3ft@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:00:49 -0500
In any radio competition there are BUILT IN advantages based on laws of
physical location, electromagnetic propagation and YES.. MR.MURPHY! (And if
you DON'T think Murphy's Law is real... you haven't operated a contest! HI)

Those who choose to live in an area where the geography favors them (like
KC1XX) AND who choose to maximize that advantage will have a leg up on the
vast majority of competitors..

But as it was pointed out in an earlier post.. IF THE OPERATORS of KC1XX are
not capable of utilizing the advantages they have.. then ALL the money,
time, hardware, and location don't mean SQUAT to them as far as winning or
doing well.

You also see the convergence of the interest, coupled with the desire to
invest in the hardware/location to get there PLUS the investment of YEARS of
personal blood/sweat/tears to learn how to do what you do to win showing up.

Rich who operated WP3R would be a competitive op even if he went to a
station in the 'black  hole' of W9 for the DX contest.  Why? Skills,
knowledge, and practical ability. Same for ANY other person who has learned
the ropes and attained a level of skill.

Plus the basic tenet of 'because it is there' and 'because it's a goal to
shoot for' are HIGHLY  motivating factors in 'why we do what we do'

Last, but DEFINITELY NOT least.. is the PERSONAL drive and desire to compete
against OURSELVES and see if we can beat what we did the last time -
regardless of what the may be defined as.

73

Chuck K3FT