Re: [CQ-Contest] how to cut cast acrylic?

To: "DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL" <kr2q@optonline.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] how to cut cast acrylic?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:53:11 -0800
Doug,

Laser cutting is best if you want an optical quality edge,
but probably not cost effective for this application :):)

If you have access to a bandsaw, use a fine pitch blade
similar to what you would use to cut steel (a coarse "raker"
blade will crack the material).  You can also use
a table saw with a thin fine pitch plywood blade.
Reciprocating saws (sawzall or jigsaw) will tend to
crack the material due to the back and forth motion
(especially if its thin).

If you want it to look pretty, you can sand the edges
with progressively finer grades of sandpaper. Alumina
polish will even get you back to a near optical quality
edge finish.