[CQ-Contest] What should we use packet to promote?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, FCG <FCG@kkn.net>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] What should we use packet to promote?
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:25:27 -0500
W2UP and now K3ZV have noted:

"you should only spot stations that you can work for points. While
spotting your buddy in the next town may not be against the rules, it does
make one wonder if the stations who participated in this activity made
arrangements to do it prior to the contest. If they did, then maybe they should be classified multi-single ??"

My take on this is:

I have seen this type of behavior often on packet... lots of it is members of a club promoting the operations of others within their club and usually a GO CLUB comment tied to it... I like club enthusiasm but...

Where have you guys been for the past ten years - the Europeans started doing this on day one for their fellow hams!!!!! Now that we are seeing the US guys doing it more and more, now something is wrong?

How do you say who you can and cannot spot?

If you cannot spot someone in your own country how about if a member of your radio club goes overseas for the contest and you spot him... his score still goes to your club, should we not be able to spot him? Is this not like guru N6AA dislikes when he says that a station just working one guy mebbe should not be allowed to count since that is a form of favoritism...

Personally I LOVE UNIQUES, I had a piece of e-mail on Monday from a DL who congratulated us on working his station running 80 milliwatts... that is pretty cool, if my antenna system is better than the competitions enough that he could make QSO with me whereas my competition could not pull him out I think this is EXACTLY why I spend hours doing this stuff!!!!!!!! And, if he drops his power lower and then only my station can make the grade... I do not want that to somehow work against me!

I know that a big portion of doing well in "reading" packet spots is being quick enough to see who made the spot. Chasing a spot that pops up in Alt-A window can be futile if it is a function of a different set of propagation than you are in...for this reason the ALt-O window is usually up on the savvy guys screens - they need to know what is worth taking the time to chase, something Alt-A does not provide! i.e. a US ham running down an Asiatic spot to no avail - if he knew it was made by a European he would know not to other going!

Sometimes you CAN work those weird spots by virtue of being able to take advantage of a different propagation path or perhaps you are "next door" to a KP3Z, etc...

BUT.... I cannot imagine how you can "police" packet spots to be able to ascertain that it was a spot from a ham for the same country he was in when K1TTT has shown that just because a call says it was a spot form county X the ISP may from country Z.

We are so focused on packet it seems we are starting to forget what it is that really draws us to the rigs several times a year... are you actually looking forward to a packet spot run?

I confess to personally being guilty of calling before hearing a packet spot this past weekend... my bad... in a weak moment I jumped on a spot for ZF2A... as soon as I did and hit F4 the band captain looked at me in shock and awe and said "you know that is ZF1A, right" - gulp... Did I feel like a lid or what!

I dutifully apologized ot W5ASP... but I guess what I am saying is the underlying theme of these posts might better be do we like what packet has done for contesting or not...

I am on the edge... I still am awed at the flow of spots through the clusters, SO MUCH INFORMATION! The high tech of it (which I imagine by industry standards is not all that much) still impresses the heck out of me - even more so seeing it flow through ten networked computers in a flicker... but, as a second op on a band I still found that the act of finding a new one was just as much fun as ever... perhaps even more so knowing that I beat the point-click and call brigades!

Even with all that packet though I ask... where the heck was zone 12 - we only found them on 10 meters :-(

Mebbe NP4Z should have sent his remote station to CE :-)

Let me add my agreement with others, the CQ WW CW is without doubt the biggee - congratulations to CQ for keeping activity hot and heavy and for giving so many of us that needed mainline injection of contest adrenaline! I floated around this weekend filling in for others who were sleeping, etc. - it was hard! I wanted to get down and dirty with the other guys - good thing I was so exhausted from getting the station ready otherwise there could have been a frequency fight :-)

73,

Jim, K4OJ
Team W1CW