Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling another station

To: Schulz Jonathan <jonathan.schulz@siemens.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Calling another station
From: "James R. Duffey" <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:10:54 -0700
Bob - When A has confirmed with B, I move up a kHz or so and call CQ, hoping
that station B is search and pouncing up, will hear the CQ and reply. This
works more often than you would think, but it is not a sure thing. Timing is
important. You want B to hear your CQ, but you don't want to  wait too long
so that B has tuned past you.

If B is a multiplier I need, and the above method doesn't work, I might try
to find B in QSO with another A, either up or down and repeat the procedure,
going in the same direction that B went. But after 2 or 3 tries I will give
up and continue S&Ping. Otherwise the rate suffers. But I have chased a rare
B over several QSOs up or down the band at times. It is amazing what
stubborn determination can do to drop your rate though. :^)

I have also sent B's suffix with "up 1" after A has confirmed the QSO, but I
suspect that A does not really appreciate the QRM and up 1 may not be clear,
so I don't do this often. It works as often as the first method though. I
have had other stations call me this way though when I was B. -Duffey
James R. Duffey KK6MC/5
Cedar Crest NM 87009 DM65