Re: [CQ-Contest] RCA(PHONO) JACK TO PL-259 ADAPTOR?

To: kr7x@comcast.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RCA(PHONO) JACK TO PL-259 ADAPTOR?
From: KBQRADIO@cs.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:23:22 EST
This is so easy. You put a PL-259 on a section of RG-8X and use the reducer
meant for RG-59 because both RG-8X and RG-59 are the same size (larger than
RG-58) or just drill a reducer meant for RG-58 out a bit.  On the other end you
put a shielded (metal) RCA plug (those made by Switchcraft are good) and your
done in 5 minutes.

Why would you want to order a made up one for several times the cost of the
material alone?  A while back I made up 4 or 5 of these in under an hour.
Another option may be to change the amps input from a chassis mount RCA to
an SO-239.

I guess I just don't get today's hams, that may sound just like my Elmer did
40 years ago but it has become true, I don't understand the reluctance to
building the simplest things.   Even members of the QCAP (Quarter Century
Appliance Operators) are allowed to make a cable without being thrown out, as
long as
all work with a soldering iron is supervised. I've even heard about CB
operators who have built their own "CO-Phase" lines or whatever they call them.
cant think of anything simpler than an RG-8X jumper with two simple connectors.

KH6DV